FREE BC Service Dog Information Webinar for Owner Trainers
Learn the process of training your dog for provincial service dog certification. Find out the laws for service and assistance dogs, therapy dogs and emotional support dogs. Watch two demo dogs perform tasks to mitigate disabilities. Get your questions answered! Hearing alert dogs, mobility dogs, diabetes alert dogs, PTSD dogs, anxiety dogs, Autism dogs etc.
Ideal for anyone with disabilities and health care providers and medical staff.
SDTI Local Intake Process: (current as at Nov. 2018)
1. Attend a Free Information session (offered 3 times a year)
Next one is March, 2019 time and location TBA in the Nanaimo area
2. Submit a completed application form.
Pay the Application Fee ($25 plus GST)
3. After you hear back from us, complete an in-person assessment with your dog to determine suitability for service dog work. ($90 plus GST)
4. Fundraise so you have the fees available upfront for classes. (Minimum $1500 commitment to start but aim for about $6000 if starting with a pup or $3000 for an adult dog.)
5. Sign a contract agreeing to specific minimums of weekly training, public access limits, handler behavior etc.
6. Attend online classes and webcam training sessions to get started.
We move through the process of:
A. Basic service dog foundation behaviors (learning how to learn and gain confidence inlearning)
B. Intermediate service dog behaviors: adding distractions, proofing and generalizing
C. More advanced service dog behaviors and teaching tasks to mitigate your disability
D. Public access that combines advanced public behaviors and service tasks in public.
E. Transit preparation, dealing with emergency personnel, airport preparation etc.